Born in Milan in 1916, died 2001, architect, town planner and designer. Degree in architecture in 1939. In the post war period he was a driving force of cultural debate in the “Modern Movement” and from 1947 to 1949 was a member of the CIAM (Congres Internationaux d’Architecture Moderne) and the INU (Istituto Nazionale di Urbanistica). Co-director of Domus (Design and Architecture monthly magazine) with Ernesto N. Rogers in 1946-47 and editor of the Casabella (design monthly magazine) in the fifties. Received various gold medal awards (VIII, IX, X, XIII Triennale) and the grand prix of the Triennale (IX, X, XIII) editions.
He took part in the creation of the Compasso d’Oro award in 1954 and the president of the ADI (Associatione Design Industriale) in 1956. His work as architect and designer led him to win the Compasso d’Oro award in 1956, 1962, 1964 and 1967. Among his architectural creations he is remembered for the Olivetti complex in South America, the Necchi plant in Pavia and the Nuovo Piccolo Teatro in Milan. Various pieces of his work are on display in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.